Hi, I'm Daniel Semanas. I'm a director, animator and illustrator based in São Paulo, Brazil.
Daniel Semanas was born in the city of Santos in 1987. During his teens he studied animation and developed a series of animated shorts. Finishing high school, he moved to São Paulo and graduated in Graphic Design. He began working as an illustrator / animatior in animation agencies and studios. Soon became a director in a major producer, where he developed several projects for clients such as Lollapalooza, Absolut, Nike, Mercedes, Youtube, Google, etc.
Later he directed and animated a bunch of animated IDs for Mtv Brazil, including AnnaBee.log, an autoral serie which was shown during the breaks of the channel and has participated in several animation festivals inside and outside the country.
In 2012 he won his first international award at the Cannes Film Festival with Deaths animation for 91Rock radio, in 2013 he also won the Best Newcomer Director Award at the São Paulo Short Film Festival with his first live action “Blurry eyes”. In 2018 he released his first graphic novel “Roly Poly”, being the first Brazilian solo artist to be published by Fantagraphics.
He is currently working as a director and animator, directing advertising and content projects for brands worldwide.
Feel free to contact me firstname.lastname@example.org
Balloons ( Directed by Dulcidio Caldeira, animation by Daniel Semanas)
- El Ojo de Iberoamerica 2011 - Gran Ojo in Audiovisual production, Gold in best animation 2011
- London international awards 2011 - Gold in Art Direction in Design category, Silver in Media Promotion in TV / movie / online category
- Ads of the world 2011 - Bronze in best film
- Cannes Lion 2011 - Gold in Design, Gold in Film Craft and Bronze in Film
- The one show awards 2012 - Gold in Broadcast Design
- Clio Awards 2012 - Silver in Film and Bronze in music
Cut and Paste 2012 ( Animation)
- Winner of the animation contest in Brazil.
91 Rock Deaths ( Direction and animation )
- Cannes Film Festival 2012 Bronze Lion in Design and Bronze Lion in Film Craft
Blurry Eyes ( Direction ) - Live action short film
- São Paulo international short film festival 2013 - Winner in Newcomer Director
Official selection :
- Belo Horizonte International Short Film Festival
- São Paulo Short Film Festival
- Clermont-Ferrand Festival in France
- Amazonas Film Festival
- 24th Stockholm International Film Festival 2013
- 7th Audiovisual Goiamum
- Sorocaba Festival Votorantim
- Friborg International Film Festival - France
- Maremetraggio - International Short Film Festival - Trieste - Italy
- Lakino: Latin American Film Festival Berlin
Annabee.log ( Direction and animation ) - Short animated film
- Official selection - Anima Mundi 2013 - 21st International Animation Festival
Youtube Playlist Store ( Illustration )
- Gold award - Cyber - Wave Festival 2014
- Bronze award - Design - Wave Festival 2014
Pilão Decaf ( Direction and animation )
- Wave Festival 2015 - Silver award - Film Craft
Mercedes Tongue twist ( Direction and animation )
- Cannes Film Festival 2016 - Shortlist
Nike - The Road to HBL ( Directed by Le Cube, animation by Le cube and Daniel Semanas )
- Shanghai Golden Lions Festival 2018 - Golden Award - Best Animation
Roly Poly ( Graphic novel )
- Hq mix 2019 - Nominated in Newcomer illustrator, Best colorist and international Highlight.